• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Next Job Advice

Stephanie Hanners

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
Hi,
I just got laid off - I was a Cerner Consultant working for a consulting firm. I have my BS in Computer Information Systems and my Master's in Healthcare Admin/Informatics with 10 yrs in healthcare IT. I've been thinking about adding revenue cycle to my base of knowledge. I have my certification in Cerner Charge Services but need more training in the billing/coding area. I'm technical not clinical. I started looking into coding training - especially ICD-10 training. I found your website and I have dug around and listened to several of the you tube videos as well. You all explain things so well - I appreciate that! How long will the training take? I need to get back to work. I think I could be off a couple of months max. I know I need the terminology and anatomy training. Can I take just ICD-10 without ICD-9? Probably in the long run if I get certified, it will look better on my resume but I don't know if I will become a full-fledged coder. I assume I will stay in the consulting world. Does that make sense?

I would appreciate some big picture advice.

I'm always up for learning something new but I don't want to be a continual student - have enough school loans so I'm not interested in another degree. The certification sounds like a lot of work but not a huge amount of financial investment compared to my other schooling so that's a plus. :)
I have to stay marketable and I think the rev cycle area is growing. And if I don't want to travel for work anymore, I can code at home. However, I need experience and....see what I mean?

Thank you for your advice,

Stephanie Hanners

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Stephanie - the best thing to do is schedule a call with me and I can help direct you. It's just easier to talk it out vs. trying to type it in an email or forum post. Schedule 20 Min Consultation